Thursday, January 22, 2009

Desert riding memories


The majority of my motorcycle riding experience has been of the off road variety. Living in the Coachella Valley for the past 8 years allowed for some epic desert riding. I quickly met several like minded desert rats. Most Sunday mornings we would gather at places with names like "The Shovel, Squid filter, and Long Canyon. In addition to the usual 30 mile local loop, we would often load up and head to Ocotillo Wells or Glamis. Traveling across the desert landscape with my riding buddies was never dull. We would take turns leading or find a fun track and start pounding out laps. The picture above was taken at S-22 portion of Ocotillo Wells. That particular day was simply outstanding. Our riding group was getting larger, probably 10 regular riders. One of the guys Dad came out and took some photos. We criss-crossed the off road park several times. Nothing compares to a full day riding under the warm desert sun. Right now I have dedicated myself to street riding, somehow I know my dirt days are not over.

2 comments:

  1. Dude thanks for leaving a comment, I am planning a round the world trip for this summer so I haven't managed to keep up the blog. your blog looks great, Keep riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EJ, what is up with the plans for a reac track out by Desert Center? You still involved? I know I heard about one going in in Thermal, which sounds like a stupid location, but what do I know?

    Vicki & I have been in LA and Marina Del Ray the past two weeks. She's in San diego for three days this weekend.

    Motorcycles look like fun, I would love to learn to ride one. I have a few times, and took the safety course to prepare for my license, but failed it (I nearly ran over the instructor!)

    I plan to find a way to practice out in the far reaches of the desert, and get the hand/foot coordination down.

    Keep up the good blog, and thanks for the phone calls. It means a lot for me to keep in touch with you...Dick

    ReplyDelete