Monday, January 5, 2009

A racebike with blinkers


My current motorcycle is an amazing example of Japanese engineering. It was purchased new from a local dealership around my birthday in May 2008. After pouring over test articles in several magazines and websites I decided on a Yamaha R6. I was able to save $1880.00 by settling on the 2007 model. Other than minor motor changes the bike was virtually the same as the 08. Figuring out how to put the bike in my garage took some maneuvering on my part. The short version is I had to let another bike go. I decided to sell my 06 KTM 450sx. Knowing that I would be relocating from the Desert back to the coast I knew my dirt biking days would be few.


So after plopping down a healthy down payment I was handed the keys and I rode a shiny red rocket home.


Nothing compares to a fresh new bike. No mystery to when service was done, bolts and nuts aren't stripped. The downside is signing up for payments and don't even mention the interest.


Regardless I love this middleweight. It handles with knife-like precision and has amazing top end power.I spent the late spring and summer getting to know the machine. Breaking it in per manufacture recommendation and riding it everywhere.


This is the first street legal bike I have owned since 1981 when I bought a used CB550. So getting used to traffic and riding defensively was top priority. I have been fortunate to have ridden my 01 GSXR 600 at several track days so I felt confident on this bike. I will write more about the track experience another time.


I have a little over 4000 miles on my latest steed. Two oil changes and I need a rear tire.


The bike is stock for the most part. I put a fender eliminator kit on to clean up the back. ASV levers, and GYRT slip-on. Rear sets and braided brake lines are on the wish list along with having suspension dialed in for my weight and riding style.


I love gearing up, rolling the bike out, and hitting the road. It is always a deeply satisfying experience. My Moto-vation.

No comments:

Post a Comment