Thursday, January 8, 2009

You meet the nicest people on a Honda


I borrowed the title from an ad campaign Honda used back in the 70'S. Seemed like a fitting title to share a little about one of my riding buddies. A motorcycle journal would not be complete without talking about the people that I meet riding bikes.

The picture is my friend Nick taken on a summer ride up to Mt. Palomar. Nick rides a beautiful Honda CBR 1000. Motorcycles are a common denominator we share among other things. He knows a decreasing radius from a double apex, and to put it another way he is a gearhead just like me. He is no stranger to the sport bike world and his experience shows in his smooth riding style. Safety and riding heads up was evident from the first time I rode with him.

I remember going to a track day at Spring Mtn. with Socal track days with Nick. Being a nubbie to sport bikes he was helpful and shared a book about fundamentals written by Keith Code.I'll never forget Nicks unintentional stoppie on the front straight. Upon down shifting for turn one, Nick hit a false neutral. Grabbing a handful of front brake I witnessed the rear tire come off the ground 3 feet! He quickly got off the binders, set the rear end down, and downshifted in time to make the turn.

We have enjoyed jaunts up Ortega Hwy and Palomar Mtn. as well Track days. I value the camaraderie and good conversations over coffee or a bottle of water at a rest stop. The dialog never goes flat with Nick. I look forward to many more excursions together.
















1 comment:

  1. If I was a girl, I'd kiss ya!! Your're right, there's nothing like sharing the ups and downs and the twists and turns with good friends. Keep on keepn' on my man. See ya on the black-top!!

    ReplyDelete